Wednesday 4 January 2012

Happy is a choice.

I've been feeling the January doldrums lately, the overcast skies, the winter rains or the constant drip from everything wet. The slapping of the windshield wipers, the wet floors, and the damp air.  Yuch!
It always seems that Spring is such a long way away and there's no statutory holidays to break the monotony.
So, I pick up a passenger at Sasamat Street in Point Grey.  She is attractive and dressed casually, I'm guessing mid twenties, and has a smile that seems to cover her whole entire face which makes her even more attractive.  "Good morning," she chimes in the happiest of voices.  "How are you today?"
"I'm good," I reply, "and you?"
"I'm really great," she answers enthusiastically.  "It's a wonderful day isn't it?"  It was still pouring cats and dogs and had been doing the same most of the previous night.
The bus was standing room only so she stood just a short distance from the drivers seat.
"So I gotta ask you," I say, "what makes you so happy on this soggy day?"
"I'm like this every day," she replies.  "The weather doesn't matter.  Happiness is a choice so I choose to be happy."
"I guess that's a good thing," I say, wondering how she convinced herself of that fact on a day one could find every reason to be negative.
"Yup," she says, "We can choose happy or sad.  The choice is ours so why not choose happy?"
She continues, "I've had a great day so far.  I helped a lady design her garden this morning; I love designing.  This afternoon I'm going to my other job of career counselling, and later this evening I'm going to my fiancees to plan our August wedding.  Who can ask for more than that."
I dropped her off at MacDonald St. a short while later.  She smiled at everyone waiting while she exited the front of the bus, most smiled in return. I couldn't help but watch her walk down the sidewalk in the rear view mirror.  Such a bright light on a dull day.
It's true I thought to myself, "Happiness really is a choice.  I don't always choose it myself but I know it's there if I want it.  I have to work on choosing it much more often.
She made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment