Tuesday 27 December 2011

Back to work Tuesday

Back to work today.  I didn't want to be there for the first couple of trips but got into the swing of things after awhile.  You could have fired a cannon ball down Broadway for the first few hours without hitting a soul along the way.  Now that doesn't happen often on one of the busiest streets in Vancouver.
I was thinking about my sisters a lot today.  Both of them gone early in their lives.  Both as a result of the affects of drugs.  I always seem to think of the two of them around Christmas time probably because my sister Sharon's birthday fell on Dec. 10th.  I don't even know where she might be buried or the exact nature of her death.  all I know is that the last place she lived was in Florida under the name Sherry Boney.  Treena on the other hand died 3 months after my mothers death in Sept. 2009.  She was 40 years old and overdosed.
Can you see what alcoholism can do to a family?  It decimated ours for sure.  Only myself and 2 younger brothers left from a family of 7 including Mum and Dad, both gone.
I think about this kind of stuff a lot.  I wonder sometimes why I was one of the lucky ones.  When I left home at 17 years old, I promised myself I would never drink like my father did and yet when the opportunity came that's exactly what I began to do.  Drink to oblivion.  I dabbled with drugs as well when my first marriage crashed and burned.  I was a lucky one.  I quit both drinking and drugs in Oct 1978 thanks to the help of A.A. and how stayed clean and sober ever since.  I am a lucky one.
Anyway, it was a good day today and I'm actually a little glad to get the holiday excesses out of  the way and back to regular routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment